Tuesday, August 15, 2006

It's a.....

I had my ultrasound today. While I was very hesitant to get one I went ahead and did it. Last year when I was pregnant with Josiah (at this same exact time I might add!) I had my regular and routine ultrasound at 18 weeks. We were so excited to be able to find out what he was. It was pretty uneventful and we left that appointment with the info that our baby was a boy and was measuring almost two weeks ahead of schedule...

Four days later the midwife called me to tell me that our baby had several subchorionic cysts and an increased nuchal fold... Both of which might have pointed to a Down's Syndrome baby. We both mourned that day... I think my eyes were so swollen I could hardly see... and too make matters worse we had to go and face the whole family at my parents 25th wedding anniversary party! It was so awesome how much support we got that night. Not one person asked us if we were going to abort... THAT WASN'T AN OPTION. While we did get that comment by a couple of people it wasn't on that day.

Two weeks later I went in for a level II ultrasound where we found out the cysts were still there but the nuchal fold was gone... Also he was still measuring big! The perinatologist told me that it didn't point to Down Syndrome but to Trisomy 18 which was usually fatal to the baby. I left there upset but even more determined to see this to the end. After much prayer on my part I finally got a peace that I nor anyone else could understand. I didn't worry about it anymore... I knew deep in my heart that he was going to be fine...

The day he was born the thought crossed my mind that there might be something wrong... but at that same time the midwife came over to me and told me he looked great and had no signs of either of those two conditions. To this day I still believe that Josiah is my special child. For any of you that read his birth story you know that we had chosen the name Josiah before we even knew he was a boy and later, after his birth, found out that it meant "Jehovah heals".... I believe that beyond a shadow of a doubt!

It was with mixed emotions that I went to my ultrasound today... Very hesitant at what we would find out. According to the technician every thing looked great. The baby was very cooperative and showed its face numerous times... At one point we caught it yawning... it was SO cute!! When the time came the tech asked me if I wanted to know the sex if she was able to see it.... The baby wasn't shy and she showed me in between the legs...

Unmistakably a..... Girl!! We are having a little girl!! I was so sure that it was a girl that I wasn't surprised when she told me it was a girl. I asked her how sure she was that it was a girl... She said it was pretty obvious.... So I am convinced!

As I was walking out she told me I wouldn't have to come back unless I needed a followup. I told her I knew because I had had to do it last summer with my son when we found out about his cysts and nuchal fold. She looked at me and lowered her voice then said "Well I am not supposed to tell you this... but everything looks fine and I didn't see any of that!"

So please welcome our new little one! A girl who will be named

Abbie Lynne

3 comments:

Caren said...

Bekah, that is a beautiful name you have chosed for your daughter. I cant wait to meet her! Will you call her "Abbie Lynne" or just "Abbie". Either is beautiful :) Congratulations!

Megan said...

Congratulations! I like the name, too! I found you via Babes in Blogland.. I've been trying to find in a like situation (baby born Dec 05, expecting 2nd baby early Feb 07).. and it looks like I did! It sounds like you'll be even busier, though, as it's #3! Anyways, if it's ok, I'll checck in every so often to see how you're coping, and you're welcome to come see me. Take care! Megan

Mrs. Darling said...

Oh I love that name. And congratualtions on your little girl. God is good.