Saturday, March 11, 2006

How much more can one person take??

Okay...I have about had it...I don't think that I can take much more of this getting up in the wee hours of the morning. You know what I mean... you are in a nice dream about some cute guy... er uh... my husband *wink wink* and suddenly from out of the blue a gut wrenching scream emits from out of the other room causing my heart to go into my throat and giving me an instant wake up call! Usually I lay there for a minute wishing so hard that he would go back to sleep... I mean really... does a three month old really need to eat in the middle of the night?? His sister had stopped her midnight snacking by now.

After I lay for a few minutes to see if maybe just maybe it is a false alarm I look at the clock and groan.... 4 am... as usual... just like clockwork... And since I have only gotten four hours of sleep (better then the two I was getting two months ago!!) my eyes feel like they have sand in them and will hardly stay open. I get up, stumble to the bathroom (darn that pregnancy and childbirth wreaking havoc on my bladder) go to get the bottle and get the baby and sink into the rocker. It is times like these that I wish that I had breastfed and could just whip it out (sorry grandma!) and do it in bed... then maybe I wouldn't notice so much that I am awake...

I had so hoped that this would end by now. I am going on much more than just the last three months of no sleep. I had started to contract at about 27 weeks pregnant... and those contractions would wake me at night and keep me awake. People... that was last October sometime... I mean seriously... how much longer can I really go with this sleep deprivation. I just want some sleep!!!

I have been feeding him at around 6 in the evening. He gets fussy somewhere between 7 and 8 but then usually settles down and falls asleep not to be heard of again until somewhere between 10 and 12. Problem is that when he falls asleep Emma usually isn't in bed yet. Then when she is I sigh in relief because I finally have some alone time. So instead of being smart about it and going to bed for a couple of hours I watch tv, read a book or work on the computer. (Quiet activities so as not to disturb the sleeping children even though Lord knows I want to sew sooooooo badly!!) Then when I finally can't keep my eyes open anymore I wake up the baby and try to feed him so I can go to bed. But because I have woken him up I can barely get him to take half of his bottle. Which is why I believe he isn't sleeping through the night yet. He then sleeps till 4am and I am up with him till nearly 5 am and then Emma is up at 6:30am.

I need to come up with a different system... and fast!!!

3 comments:

Bekah said...

Why ya gotta be so mean??? Do YOU get up with Mia or does Maretta??

Caren said...

What a good husband Mike! I'm sure Maretta appreciates you waking up with Mia and Natalie! John sleeps thru EVERYTHING, unless I bring the screaming kid into the bedroom. But, both Katy and Maire are to the point where if they wake up, they dont need to eat or get changed or whatever. They generally sleep thru the night. Its me that keeps waking up since my body is used to it! Bekah, just remember "this too shall pass".

Bekah said...

All right I will give you some credit since you do get up... But I don't have the luxury of help, just like Caren!

So I am just beat, that's all... I was venting my frustrations. And I believe that is my right since this is my site! ;)